5 Ways to Humanize Your Brand …
Your brand is the image people have of your company (or product). Its WHO people think you are. Or quoting Ze Frank; it’s the ‘emotional aftertaste’ that comes after an experience (even a second-hand one).
~ Ann Handley, CEO of MarketingProfs
Google did its part by doing an amazing job hacking the web to create search — and then monetizing search with advertising. Apple (even though I’m a nerdy Android gal) did an amazing job humanizing hardware and software so that formerly daunting computers and applications could become consumer-friendly devices — even a lifestyle brand.
Now it’s your turn … Humanizing your brand is a requirement, not an option if you want to survive in the business world today. And as we already know, humans connect, relate to and trust other humans. So, if you’re not any of those things, why would someone be likely to even consider doing business with you.
Now before we dive in, why don’t you take a few moments to think about your all-time favourite brands … Which ones stand out? And Why? (Feel free to leave your answers in the comments.) for me, it’s the ones that mastered the art of humanization. Brands such as Huawei, Pixar, Burt’s Bees, Spokes and The Middle Finger Project – just to name a few. These brands make ME FEEL as though I’m truly a part of what they’re after. I live their brand as much as they do. And that’s the feeling you want your audience to have too!
Even in a digitally sophisticated world, being human is essential in brand equity building. From communicating ethical behavior to creating emotion, hands-on brand experiences here are 5 key takeaways on how to get your brand to adopt a human touch to win over your audience …
- Make sure your brand tells a story. And not just any story. Your story. Your real truth. Speak from the heart as it will make your brand (and you) feel more empowered – and your audience more informed – than ever before.
- Make sure your brand is authentic without implementing too many of those over-used “buzzwords”. That will just leave a bad taste. And more than ever before, your audience has an ear for authenticity and will respond graciously to honesty and integrity.
- Remember giving back is the new “black” … Act generously. It’s also the TIME to help improve your community and the world as a whole (especially if you work virtually like we do!). Plus, giving back is the most satisfying way to market your business. And thankfully, there are ways that you give back without breaking the bank. It could even introduce some networking opportunities.
- How you make them feel is everything. Experience is everything. Seeing is feeling and feeling is believing. And not just in retail. Make them feel magical every step of the way – through every aspect of your business (not just the front page of your website). This will not only build an emotional relationship with them but establish trust. The long-lasting kind.
- Give your audience complete control. Yes, digital self-service (and chatting with Larry, the company bot) is amazing some days and doesn’t seem like it’s going anywhere anytime soon. But don’t forget to be there for them when they need you. People need (and want) to be needed. And #BANG! That’s your opportunity to build – and re-build – trust and foster relationships with each and every personalized experience. Put your audience, clients and/or customer at ease.
For thousands of years, humans have used the art of storytelling to motivate and persuade.
~ Kristen Soltis Anderson, TV personality and Writer
So, are you ready to humanize your brand?
As you can see, there are many really great ways to add the human touch to your brand. And quite honestly, most of these ways are quite simple and loads of fun. And by implementing these (as a starting point), soon people will start seeing your brand (and you) and someone they can rely on. And there’s not greater pleasure in the entrepreneurial world than that!
Like this blog post?
If you found today’s blog post to be exactly the type of inspiration and know-how you were looking for, we would be very grateful if you would help this post spread
by sharing the LOVE with it socially, emailing it to a friend or dropping us a comment with your thoughts. You never know whose life you might change.