What Does Your Business Name Mean to YOU?
Did you know that having an unconventional business name can be a very great way to make yourself memorable and stimulate discussion?
Especially if you are new to the business-world and are trying to gain attention. Your business name also doubles as a conversation starter and can be a very useful way to get your foot in the door. This can be both a benefit and a drawback of having an unconventional name. Viewer’s and search engines, will not automatically know what your business does. Thus, creating conversation and giving you the opportunity for your viewers to ask you about your business, what you offer (or sell) and why they ought to choose you over everyone else.
A few quick tips on choosing your business name …
- Make sure the name does not contain any “sensitive words”.
- Make sure you are not infringing on anyone else’s trademarks.
- Make sure that the name you choose is not already in use.
- Make sure not to “settle” and set it in your plans to change it later.
- Make sure not to become short-sighted and make sure the name represents well.
Going against the grain are just excuses and a lack of self-awareness, attention to detail, diligence or being “lazy” put you and your business in danger. If you are not self-aware or paying enough attention to the details will make your viewers begin to wonder what else, you possibly dropped the ball on and not take you seriously. This could be a “make or break” situation and that’s what you’re looking to avoid. Not being diligent or perhaps even “lazy” will give the impression of failure before you’ve even begun. Your viewers will ponder your execution. Danger-zone here …!
If you are in the beginning stages of creating that “perfect” name to represent your business, here are some tips and resources to ease the frustrations you may be experiencing:
- Compile a list of keywords that strike a cord and represent.
- Identify your favourites and do a quick study on how you came up with them.
- Use a thesaurus to find the synonyms of said keywords.
- Plug your keywords into generators for quality combinations
- Check for domain availability during this process (when you feel your ideas are solid).
- Ask for feedback from anyone and everyone.
If you perform all these steps, in this order, you will find yourself with a handful of great names to play with and choose from. To help the process along even further, below is a list of great keyword generator sites to play with …
Never forget that your business name is the very first thing to come out of your mouth every single time you pitch. So, having something solid and strong is just as important as what you offer.
Do you have an exceptionally great business name (new or old) that you’d like to share?
Feel free to drop your name and story into the comments! I’d love to hear all about it.
Like this blog post?
If you found today’s blog post to be exactly the type of inspiration and know-how you were looking for, we would be very grateful if you would help this post spread
by sharing the LOVE with it socially, emailing it to a friend or dropping us a comment with your thoughts. You never know whose life you might change.